Forestry South Africa is South Africa’s premier and largest forestry organisation and represents growers of commercial timber in South Africa. The Association’s membership includes large, medium and small-scale timber growers who between them, own and control more than 93% of the total plantation area in South Africa.
This senior position, based in Pietermaritzburg and reporting to the Operations Director, will entail managing the overall operations function in FSA in support of the protection, growth and development of the Forestry Industry in South Africa. A competitive salary is being offered.
• The maintenance of and continual updating of the Association’s comprehensive database on all aspects of the South African Forestry and Forest Products Industry.
• The monitoring and analysing of:
• the macro-economic and regulatory climate in which the Industry operates; and
• pertinent policies published by Government other public bodies and private bodies in order to ascertain the economic / social and financial impacts that it will have on the Industry.
• The production of reports, presentations and submissions on various issues that are of importance to the Industry as deemed necessary.
• The carrying out of various surveys amongst Association members to gather information from them and to (a) determine their views on issues that impact the Industry and (b) use these views in the production of reports, presentations and submissions.
• Participating in the FSA’s General and Executive Committees and the provision of assistance with the secretariat duties required.
• In need, attending meetings together with the Operations Director or alternatively, standing in at meetings on his behalf in his absence.
• The dissemination of all relevant information to members of the Association and the Industry at large.
• Providing any other assistance that the Operations Director deems necessary.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Agricultural Economics or closely related fields with at least 5 years’ experience.
• A proven track record in operations and project management.
• Sound grasp of statistical analysis.
• Computer literacy (especially MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook)
• Excellent written and oral communication ability.
• Good organisational and coordinating skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate under pressure.
• A valid driver’s licence.
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and a one-page letter motivating your suitability for the position to the Executive Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted candidates will be required to deliver a ten-minute presentation on the key issues facing the commercial forestry landscape in South Africa.
Closing date: 29 September 2017
NB. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.